Note: Originally posted 10/12/12 - moved to this new location due to high spam volume.
It has been almost 2 years since our house was finished and I’m finally getting around to writing this. Mainly due to lack of time, but also because I can be a little clearer in my thinking and less emotional. A little because another piece of metal fence rose from the grave and the sink sank some more, but more on that later! Finally, because I see more of his houses going up and I feel we should share some of our experiences. If it just helps one person, then it would be worth it!
It has been almost 2 years since our house was finished and I’m finally getting around to writing this. Mainly due to lack of time, but also because I can be a little clearer in my thinking and less emotional. A little because another piece of metal fence rose from the grave and the sink sank some more, but more on that later! Finally, because I see more of his houses going up and I feel we should share some of our experiences. If it just helps one person, then it would be worth it!
I am putting this on a “blog”. I’m not sure it is the best medium, but thought it is the most convenient to keep adding to as new, old memories come up. Of course, other people can share their experiences, which is even better.
So, our builder is Facundo Home Builders, the same person who built the Little Couple’s house on TLC. He is local to our area (Garden Oaks) and is “known” as a high-end artisan builder. Over time we learned from our own experience and some of it from others, he should also be known for:
- Being a Jekyll and Hyde. All sugar when trying to sell you something, but a true red pepper once the deal is done, especially when he does not agree with you on something.
- Being a bully and totally unprofessional, especially when he can hide behind a phone. He’ll call you a liar, yell at you, has zero idea of professionalism or customer service, but don’t tell him that!
- Not letting you see your house being built except on his schedule, which is very infrequent. DON’T show up unannounced!
- Recording what you say while on that property
- Conveniently not responding to anything in a timely manner, if at all, unless it helps him.
- Horrible integrity. Will even say “yes” on paper, but not deliver;
- Hiding behind a lawyer and threats to cover himself
We were first time builders. Most other friends who had built homes had some bad experiences with builders and they told us to expect the same. However, when we started describing our experiences, we were in a league of our own!
Here is my advice if you are considering him. Some of this we knew even before we started. It was common sense, but we choose to ignore it.
- Run away if you want a good experience throughout the process. Especially if you don’t have any previous home building experience!
- You’ll have better luck if you do cost-plus, since the pressure is off him to stick to a budget.
- Go through his houses and you better like the traditional style. It is the only one he knows.
- Check references of experiences with other recent customers who built with him from the beginning (not ones who bought spec homes from him). Do this by knocking on doors of houses he’s built.
- Buy the lot and have a provision that you can visit anytime you like, unannounced!
- Have the contract looked over by a lawyer and protect yourself very well in case he decides to hold your house hostage near the end on what you owe and what is considered “complete”.
- Did I say check references?
November 10th, 2014 at 4:52 am: Please call me xxx-xxx-xxx. I am having same experience.
ReplyDeleteNote: Originally posted 11/10/14 by "MO" - moved to new location due to high spam volume.
ReplyDeletePlease call me xxx-xxx-xxx. I am having same experience.
And to add to the above list, if for whatever reason you choose to build with Facundo, PLEASE have a qualified real estate contract attorney look over the contract, remove the unilaterally favorable (to Facundo) language from the contract and sign the contract ONLY if the provisions protect you. You can almost certainly expect the "Jeykell and Hyde" mentioned above to come out and the only thing that will protect you from his tactics is an iron-clad contract. If he doesn't agree to be fair, find another builder.
ReplyDelete